Meshuggah - Koloss (Influence Series #1)

 

So following on from the my article "The Writer: Shaping Taste's" I decided to write a series of articles based around the albums that have influenced me the most, both in my musical writing and in journalistic writing, and so it is that we begin here with Meshuggah. I was first introduced to Meshuggah by my older brother when I was around 18/19, immediately falling in love with the unusual time signatures and their surprisingly mesmerising rhythm, and although the Swedish metal giants have some great albums there is only one that I listened to with the infectious nature of those albums which stay with you for life, Koloss. 

This, the seventh album of Meshuggah's long career, saw the band collate all of their previous works; the atmospheric terror that could be felt on early albums such as Nothing is brought together with the more song-orientated style of Obzen, and more groove than you shake a wizards hat at. There are no short songs to speak of (the shortest is 4:33, instrumental and the final track) but have stayed away from lavishly long tracks that have crept up before. 

The album begins at a steady pace but changes and shifts as the album goes on, The Demon's Name Is Surveillance is fast, sharp at times and almost erratic, causing a stirring sort of frenzy in the soul, which moves into the deep groove that is Do Not Look Down, with its enjoyable midlevel speed it could almost be called soothing.

As we move into the middle of album you find the almost thrash like songs Marrow and The Hurt That Finds You First. These centre points speak volumes about the bands ability to be creative, innovative and brave, all whilst writing songs that have hooks and pulls unlike those that the pop world are used to, and of course it's heavy. Heavy in a face-melting, neck-twisting way that would transform even the softest of grannies into a raging bull. 

The album finishes with two of my favourite songs, the incredible epic that is Demiurge. It's clawing darkness and atmospheric brilliance send shivers up my spine and honestly, I can imagine this being played at my funeral (no joke). And finally the slow, eery melodies of The Last Vigil. 


Meshuggah are responsible for influencing some of the biggest bands of today's European/Global metal scene, such as Architects, and with a career spanning more than 25 years; I would challenge anyone to find me a band of such immense presence who have consistently written as well and originally as these.

Any band or musician of the metal genres should be looking towards these bands, the pioneers, the uncompromising artists, who have brought us some the of the greatest records of the last two decades, and I would encourage the study of such works, even to go as far to call it essential!

I AM COLOSSUS..: 10/10
Top Picks: Do Not Look Down, The Hurt That Finds You First, Demiurge.
Koloss was released March 23rd 2012 via Nuclear Blast Records:

Come back in a week's time when I'll be talking about one of the first albums to directly influence my musicianship, involving one of my biggest inspirations as a vocalist...


Comments