Holding Absence - Saint Cecilia (Pt 2/2)


So here in Part 2 of, I guess what you'd call, my preview to This Is As One, the upcoming split EP from Sharptone Records artists Loathe and Holding Absence. In the first half I looked at Loathe's first offering in this collaboration, White Hot. And now in the second part, I'm checking out the input from Holding Absence; Saint Cecilia.  

I'm starting to get a strange sense of yin and yang between Loathe and Holding Absence. They show a large sense of emotional maturity and depth, a fortunate bi-product of pain and suffering, but it's in the delivery of this emotion that you really feel the sides oppose each other in their light and dark forms.

If anything I would say that Holding Absence are the mysterious darkness. Don't be fooled by Lucas Woodland's voice, though it may sound angelic at times, it hides some deep sorrow. His lyrical articulacy is one to be admired and cherished, anyone familiar with their work will know this, but particularly in this, Saint Cecilia, I find a more direct approach. The lyric 'That's the thing. You break my heartstrings!' says all it needs to with no hidden agenda.

This song is, as always with Holding Absence, full of emotion, great musical technicality and an all round great song, one that displays the band at the best in many ways. I maintain what I've said before about these guys. They're great songwriters, fiercely passionate about their music and they will go far. Suffice to say I'm thoroughly looking forward to This Is As One.


Comments

  1. I love your writing style! I can't wait to hear this E.P it sounds right up my street! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment